What A Business Fiber Optic Network Contains:
The essential philosophy of contemporary LAN wiring may be the idea of structured cabling. The complete networking method is separated into chunks that allow workstation wires to become concentrated. In a typical enterprise LAN system, the fiber optic network contains Telecommunication Rooms, Backbone Wiring, Work Areas and Horizontal Wiring.
- On each floor, there will be a telecommunication room located on top of the other person. These telecommunication rooms hold all network equipment including routers, servers and switches. Telecommunication rooms are linked together with fiber optic cables passing through vertical shafts which are called backbone wiring/cabling or vertical wiring/cabling.
- The backbone fiber optic cables typically run at 10Gbps Ethernet speed to supply enough bandwidth for the whole enterprise.
- Work areas are work stations (PCs) split up into cubicles. These work areas are connected to each floor’s telecommunication room with horizontal cabling. These horizontal copper/fiber optic cables typically run at 1Gbps Ethernet speed.
How To Pull The Fiber Optic Cable Through Vertical Shaft:
The backbone cabling was once twisted pair copper cables. The good news is it is normally multimode fibers as well as single mode fibers. There are many tools available to pull the vertical backbone fiber cables. Included in this are Gopher poles, cable caster pulling tools or fish tapes. In most cases you have to put in a pulling eye to guard the fiber cables and connectors while pulling the fiber cables.
How To Terminate A Backbone Vertical Fiber Optic Cable:
The backbone fiber optic cables can be found in without termination (connector). You always have to terminate these fibers with fiber optic connectors such as ST, SC or LC connectors. The termination steps usually are not extremely hard nevertheless it does require some extensive training before you perform a fairly good job.
Fiber optic termination tools
The equipment necessary for fiber terminations are fiber optic cable strippers, Kevlar cutters, fiber cleavers, ST, SC, LC or MTRJ fiber optic connectors, fiber connector hand polishing puck, fiber polishing films and fiber inspection microscope.
Fiber optic cable termination steps
- 1. Strip the fiber: Fiber cables have 3mm jacket, Kevlar strength member and 0.9mm buffer coating. To get at the 0.125mm fiber cladding, you should remove the 3mm jacket having a fiber jacket stripper, then cut the Kevlar fibers having a Kevlar cutter, finally strip the 0.9mm buffer down to 0.125mm cladding having a fiber optic stripper.
- 2. Cleave the fiber: After stripping the fiber as a result of 0.125mm cladding, you insert the fiber into a SC, ST or LC connector, after which inject some fiber optic epoxy in to the connector using a syringe. You will then lay the connector into a hot oven for stopping the fiber epoxy so it can take the fiber tightly. After the curing process, you cleave extra fibers in the connector tip having a fiber optic cleaver.
- 3. Hand polishing the fiber: Within the next step, you place the connector (already with fiber fixed inside) into a hand polishing puck, which serves as a fixture while you polish the end face with the connector to get a good quality mirror like finish. Then you definitely hold the polishing puck and polish the connector over a connector lapping film in a figure 8 shape for 10~15 times. Repeat the hand polishing steps stepping from 12um, 3um to 0.5um lapping films.
- 4. Fiber termination quality inspection: The last step is to inspect the caliber of work. You insert the finished connector right into a fiber optic inspection microscope which zooms to 200 to 400 time level to show you all the scratches and pits which could exist around the connector end face. If everything looks perfect, then you can connect your fiber into the network.
This is only a beginning of building a fiber optic network. Please go to FiberStore for more information. FiberStore is a fiber optic cable supplier who offers a large selection of fiber optic network solutions. You can buy figure of 8 cable and plastic fiber there with high quality!